Pioneer Animal Hospital will provide information via, printable graphics, how to videos, apps and more throughout the month of April to increase your know how to care for your pet in an emergency situation until you can reach help.
The 99 cent Pet First Aid app gives iPhone and Android smart phone users instant access to expert information so they learn how to maintain their pet’s health and what to do during emergencies.
“Pet owners learn how to recognize health problems and when to contact their veterinarian,” said Rahim Balsara, Regional CEO of The American Red Cross in New Mexico. “The Pet First Aid App provides step-by-step instructions, videos and images for more than 25 common first aid and emergency situations including how to treat wounds, control bleeding, and care for breathing and cardiac emergencies.”
Additional topics include burns, car accidents, falls and what to do for cold- and heat-related emergencies.
Other features in the app allow pet owners to:
- Create a pet profile including tag identification number, photos, list of medications and instructions.
- Use the list of early warning signs to learn when to call their veterinarian.
- Use “click-to-call” to contact their veterinarian.
- Find emergency pet care facilities or alternate veterinarians with the “animal hospital locator.”
- Locate pet-friendly hotels.
- Test their knowledge with interactive quizzes and earn badges that they can share on their social networks along with their favorite picture of their pet.
The Red Cross has made great strides in making emergency information available whenever and wherever people need it. The Pet First Aid App and other Red Cross apps can be found in the Apple App Store and the Google Play Store for Android by searching for American Red Cross or by going to redcross.org/mobileapps.