So how can you tell if your dog has consumed a plant that he shouldn’t have?
According to the Cornell University College of Agriculture and Life Sciences, the most common symptoms of toxic plant ingestion in dogs include vomiting, diarrhea, weakness, changes in urine, and drooling.
Bulbs of any kind are toxic to dogs and can result in gastrointestinal upset, stomach pain, and loss of appetite. Similarly, other specific parts of plants -- such as the berries or blooms -- can carry higher concentrations of toxins.
The Autumn Crocus can cause an intense burning sensation in the mouth, vomiting, diarrhea, seizures, liver and kidney damage, and even heart arrhythmias. Although the entire plant is considered toxic to dogs, the toxicity is highest in the bulbs of the plant.
Ingestion of just a few leaves of Azaleas can cause oral irritation with subsequent vomiting and diarrhea in dogs. In severe cases, ingestion can cause a drop in blood pressure, coma, and even death.
Although the entire plant is considered poisonous to dogs, it is the Daffodil bulb that is the most toxic. Ingestion of any portion of a Daffodil can cause vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal pain, arrhythmias, convulsions, and a serious drop in blood pressure.
Dieffenbachia, also known as Dumb Cane, is a common houseplant that can cause oral irritation, vomiting, and difficulty swallowing in dogs. It can also create a burning sensation of the lips, tongue, and mouth.
Although the entire plant of a tulip is considered toxic, it is the bulb that is the most poisonous to dogs. Ingestion can cause significant oral irritation, excessive drooling and nausea.
Also known as the Mother-In-Law plant, the Kalanchoe is a common house plant with small dense flowers. When ingested it can cause vomiting and diarrhea. In rare cases, heart arrhythmias can occur from a poisoning.
The Sago Palm is an extremely poisonous plant to dogs when ingested, causing bloody vomiting and diarrhea, bleeding disorders, liver failure and death.
Oleander is a popular ornamental flowering shrub commonly found in the southern United States and California. Its cardiac glycosides, similar to digoxin, are very toxic to dogs and can cause fatal heart abnormalities, muscle tremors, incoordination, vomiting and bloody diarrhea.
Also known as Sowbread, the Cyclamen is a common household flowering plant with poisonous properties (i.e., terpenoids) to dogs. It can cause oral irritation, vomiting, diarrhea, heart abnormalities, seizures and death.
Especially popular around Easter, the lovely Amaryllis is also poisonous to dogs. Its toxins can cause vomiting, depression, diarrhea, abdominal pain, hypersalivation, anorexia, and tremors in dogs.
Dermatological symptoms of a dog having come into contact with a plant containing poisonous chemicals include rashes, blisters, and itchiness.
If Fido licks toxic sap (either off himself or off of the plant), he may experience such symptoms as coughing, drooling, and lack of appetite. Lapping up toxic saps may cause inner mouth discomfort, including irritation to the lip, tongue, and esophagus.
If you suspect your dog may have ingested or come into contact with a toxic plant, take him to the vet as soon as possible. If you can't immediately get to a vet, call the ASPCA Animal Poison Center (APCC).
Take note of the symptoms he is experiencing, and bring a picture or sample of the plant he may have eaten. Different plant-based poisons will require different treatment. There are antidotes for some, while others may be treated with induced vomiting or stomach pumping.
Oregon City, OR 97045