Just because you maybe enjoying something, does not mean your pets will too.
smoke in a cat’s face and watch her get crazy. But did you know that marijuana can be toxic to pets?
Veterinarians report that they are encountering more incidents of marijuana poisoning in pets, mostly
dogs. It’s usually an accident, but not always, when an animal ingests marijuana in edibles, some bud dropped on the floor, or even discarded trimmings. As more patients are growing their own in Oregon, we can expect even more of these accidents unless owners are careful to keep these products away from pets.
Cannabis sativa contains more than 60 cannabinoids. Tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) is the most toxic.
THC affects the nervous system. A Guide to Plant Poisoning of Animals in North America reports cattle, horses, pigs and dogs have been intoxicated after eating marijuana. Pollen from the flowers can also cause allergies in humans and dogs.
The most common clinical effects of marijuana ingestion in pets are depression, listlessness, ataxia
(loss of motor coordination, including loss of balance), vomiting and hypothermia (low body temperature).
The animal’s eyes often dilate and they may lose his appetite and not drink enough water. Other signs
can include bradycardia (slow heartbeat) or tachycardia (fast heartbeat), agitation, vocalization, vomiting,
diarrhea, hypersalivation (drooling), urinary incontinence, seizures, and in severe cases, coma or death.
The neurotoxic effects of cannabis ingestion in animals usually occur within a half hour to two hours of
eating it and usually last for about 12 hours. However, these effects can last for days because the cannabinoids are stored in fat.
If your pet has gotten into some marijuana or marijuana-laced products, do not wait for symptoms to start;
get them to a veterinarian. If your pet has the symptoms of cannabis poisoning and there is a chance he could have ingested marijuana, he needs treatment. Be honest with the veterinarian about what you think is the cause. Vets are not obligated to report such a poisoning, and they need this information to properly treat the animal. It also may save you the expense of further testing.
If you discover the marijuana ingestion right away, take your pet to a veterinarian, who can induce vomiting to prevent poisoning. After about a half hour or so, however, the anti-nausea effects of the cannabis make it more difficult to induce vomiting, and if the animal is lethargic, vomiting may lead to aspiration with further complications.
Veterinarians can give supportive treatment such as IV fluids and other medications if the animal goes into a coma. Animals with marijuana poisoning rarely die, but it has happened and is sure to be on the rise.
Marijuana, hashish or medibles should always be kept away from small children (who can be poisoned, even to the point of coma), and kept away from pets. Compost waste materials in a closed container where dogs are not able to get to them.
Don’t blow smoke in their face. Pot isn’t for pets!
Unfortunately pet's do get poisoned from pot and we do treat them at our state of the art facility. Do not be to embarrassed to seek help for your pets.
Pioneer Animal Hospital
333 Warner Milne Road, Suite B
Oregon City, Oregon 97045